A word from ChildHope President Mary Kathleen Mahon
As I look back on the past year, I am so grateful for God’s faithfulness to ChildHope — and the children in Latin America and the Caribbean! 2023 was a year to rejoice in what God has done through this ministry and the support of friends like you.
- We celebrated 60 years of the schools in El Salvador, and 40 years in Costa Rica.
- At one celebration, I heard a former student share his testimony. He had accomplished wonderful things … he is a medical doctor, a pastor, and has a beautiful family. The person he honored for making a difference in his life was his first-grade teacher at his ChildHope sponsored school. She was the one who first shared with him about God’s love and taught him each day how to be a follower of Christ. To God be the glory!
- In 2023 we were able to advance construction for the Monte Sinaí school in Ecuador — enabling growth from 178 to 260 students next year! God’s timing is perfect. Three schools in the area have closed or gone to on-line classes for safety. We have space for many of those children to study in the ChildHope school in a safe and loving environment. When God provided for the construction, he knew that more children would need classroom space next year!
- The pandemic hit the community of Tiucal, Guatemala, especially hard economically. In its wake, parents are struggling to care for and feed their families. A wonderful church and Christian school that served the children for years worried they would have to close. Parents could no longer pay for their children’s education. ChildHope was able to step in and give scholarships to XX children. Not only did this help the children, but the income has kept the school’s doors open. We are grateful for this new partnership to transform lives!
- The Fishing Pole project in Costa Rica has empowered 70+ heads of households of ChildHope students by providing supplies for small business and professional mentoring. The majority of these entrepreneurs are women and work out of their homes. They are now able to provide for their families. They also encourage and support one another. This excellent project was made possible through your beautiful support!
As I look toward the future, I think of Philippians 1:6 and I am confident that He who began a good work in ChildHope will carry it on to completion. So many lives have been changed because of God’s blessings on this ministry — and the support of caring friends like you! I look forward to what God has in store for us in 2024 … and beyond. He is faithful!
For the Children,
Mary Kathleen Mahon, Ph.D.